December 16, 2020 Call for Submissions for the “II. Bosphorus Prize” Essay Competition
Berlin Bosphorus Initiative, Blickwechsel: Contemporary Turkey Studies, GeT MA German Turkish Masters Program in Social Sciences of the Humboldt-Universität zu Berlin are partnering to offer a prize for papers on “Sustainable cities and communities (SDG 11): which models and policies to enhance the cooperation and partnerships between Germany and Turkey”. The partnership aims to encourage opportunities to study and foster the debate around German -Turkish relations, with a focus on economic and political ties. The prize will publicly be awarded during a joint event -online, hybrid or physical- in Berlin or Istanbul.
The specific topic for the 2020 edition deals with sustainable cities and communities, as the 11th of the 17 Sustainable Development Goals (SDGs) adopted by the United Nations Member States in 2015. According to UN figures, almost 66% of the world’s population will live in urban areas by 2050 and the SDG 11 aims at creating safe, sufficient, inclusive urban settlements through the concept of sustainability that would entail being precautionary regarding resource use and emerging risks, avoiding vulnerability and the promotion of ecological integrity into the future. Hence, the second edition of Berlin Bosphorus Prize will focus on common problems, targets and solutions of both countries in the fields of ‘Sustainable cities and communities (#SDG11), in particular from the business and civil society perspectives. The requested format is a white paper based on qualitative research, preferably with concrete policy recommendations.
- All Humboldt-Universität zu Berlin students at undergraduate, graduate and doctoral levels.
- Length: min. 2000, max. 2500 words, including a bibliography.
- Format: typewritten in 11-point font, and double-spaced.
- Language: English.
- No multiple submissions.
- Three papers will be awarded and published online at the websites of BBI and other partnering institutions.
- First Prize: Certificate and 750€ cash award.
- Second Prize: Certificate and 500€ cash award.
- Third Prize: Certificate and 250€ cash award.
- Submission Deadline: February 26th, 2021 (by midnight CET)
- Papers should be sent by email to [email protected]
- Submissions will be reviewed by a Jury composed of chosen members of partnering institutions. Submitted papers will be judged based on the definition and significance of topic, the quality of research, the feasibility of the policy recommendations as well as the clarity and cogency of writing.
- Best papers selected on an objective and competitive basis will be rewarded in an award ceremony -online, hybrid or physical – in Berlin or Istanbul. Results will be announced no later than June 2021.